– 2x230g/8oz Rib-eye Steaks
– Olive oil
– Salt and pepper
For the salsa verde
– Garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
– Small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves stripped from stalks
– Small bunch of basil
– Small bunch of mint, leaves stripped from stalks
– 2 anchovies
– 2 tsp capers
– 1 tsp mustard
– A few drops of lemon juice
– 1/2 tsp sugar
– Pinch of sea salt
– Freshly ground black pepper
– 2 tbsp olive oil
Cooking the steak
1. Heat a griddle or frying pan until it is smoking hot.
2. Brush the steak with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Put the steak on the griddle/frying and cook:
– Rare: 1 1/2 minutes (each side)
– Medium-rare: 2 minutes (each side)
– Medium: 2 1/4 minutes (each side)
– Medium-well: 2 1/2 – 3 minutes (each side)
(These timings are based on a steak 2cm thick. Cooking time will vary depending of the thickness or how hot the pan is.)
4. Once cooked, place on a warm plate and allow to rest for 3 minutes in a warm place before serving.
5. To make the salsa verde, finely chop the garlic and herbs together, then add the anchovies and capers and continue chopping until everything is well combined.
6. Combine the mustard, lemon-juice, sugar, salt and pepper, with the herb mix.
7. Stir in the olive oil a little at a time, until you have a thick, glossy consistency.
8. Taste and season to suit your own taste.
9. Place your steak on a warm plate and pour over the sauce.